Thinking to change your internet service provider to Optimum? Well, I appreciate your decision of selecting an excellent quality Internet service provider. Optimum gives you the opportunity to get rented modems and gateways from $4.99/month to $10.99/month but renting them may cost you a lot if you are planning to use it for a couple of years ahead.
The Installation process of optimum modem is incredibly easy. First of all, attach the power cable and coaxial cable to your modem then connect the modem to the computer using Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi network. Once you see the stable internet connection light on modem, just go to http://install.optimum.com/ and enter your account number, last name, and phone number. After making few clicks, your Optimum modem will be activated.
You may want to buy a new optimum compatible modem, here are the top 3 self-tested products for optimum internet that will help you to enjoy the internet speed reliability you always wanted. Have a look of these internet devices.
- Reliable for years
- Multiple Ethernet ports for extended plans
- Supports spectrum analyzer
- Solid performance
- Versatile ISP compatibility
- Easy maintenance
- Will suit futuristic internet plans
- Compatible with Mac OS
- Automatic detection of needed channel technology
Even if you are not a super tech savvy person, our guide is smooth enough that even a 5th grader can easily follow the steps mentioned below. Keep reading this article to explore the detailed installation steps of optimum modems.
Also Read: Troubleshoot Mediacom Modem Lights Issue?
Subscribe to the Optimum internet Package
To enjoy the flawless and fascinating internet connection and smooth browsing experience, first you have to subscribe the optimum internet package. Make sure to explore which package and service of optimum is offered in your area before subscribing it.
Optimum offers multiple internet packages with incredible speed and internet connectivity uptime. A combination of different packages is offered. You can select a single service or combined service package of optimum which includes Internet data, TV Cable, and Voice phone. Click here to explore all the packages and services offered by Optimum.
Optimum offers 100 Mbps to 940 Mbps speed. The selection of internet service entirely depends upon your own usage, preferences and needs.
Get your Optimum Modem Self Installation Kit
The first and foremost step is to get your Optimum Self Installation Kit. Without having the kit, you won’t be able to enjoy your internet.
To get the installation kit, call the optimum customer service at their number which is 1-844-520-8978. You can also place your order at their website. It will take around 4 working days to deliver all the installation kit at your given mailing address.
However, if you want to get the installation kit instantly without waiting for a couple of business days, you can simply request it to their customer support through phone and get the installation kit by yourself from the nearest optimum store in your area.
Once you get the installation kit, make sure that it has all the necessary things. The things which should be in your installation kit box are:
- Optimum Modem
- Power Cables
- Ethernet Cable
- Coaxial Cable
- Phone Cord
- Coaxial Cable splitter
- Coaxial clips
- Coaxial Cable Connector
Availability of all the thing in your installation kit depends upon the type of service you have subscribed. If you simply subscribed the internet service without TV Cable and Voice phone, then Phone Cord and Coaxial Cable splitter might be missing in your installation kit.
Also, if you are not using a gateway modem, you will have an optimum compatible router in your installation kit as well along with its power cables and an extra ethernet cable.
Moreover, you may also find a Wi-Fi extender sometimes in your box depending upon the subscription plan you availed. It will help to extend the Wi-Fi signals throughout the home.
Also Read: Review of Armstrong Approved Modems
Setup Optimum Compatible Modem
To begin with the process of modem installation, first you need to find the coaxial cable outlet. That’s the only way through which cable connection enters your home. Coaxial cable outlet is usually located in the wall of the home.
Most often, there are multiple cable outlets on different walls, so select the one which is nearest to your computer desk and power sockets.
After that, follow the following steps to proceed with setting your optimum modem installation:
- Take out the modem and all the cables from the installation kit box.
- Connect one end of the coaxial cable to the back of your modem, while other in the coaxial cable outlet. Tight them thoroughly using coaxial cable connector.
- Connect the modem with Ethernet cable in yellow color port and plug the other end of ethernet cable on the back of your laptop/computer.
- In case you got separate modem and router in the installation kit, then connect one end of the ethernet cable to modem and the other end to Wi-Fi router. Then you can either connect your router to laptop through Ethernet cable or via Wi-Fi connection.
- It’s time to turn your device on. Plug the power adapter in the socket and insert the adapter cable to the back of modem.
- Press the power button and turn the modem on.
- For the first time, modem may take few minutes to update its firmware and make auto configuration. Wait for few minutes unless its lights become stable.
- Your modem is all ready to use when its 4 lights turn into solid green color and 1 last light start blinking amber green color.
- If you are using Arris TM1602 model then instead of green color, its 3 lights will be in the solid blue color while the WAN port light starts flashing in green color.
- You are all set to use the internet. To use the Wi-Fi connection, an additional router will be needed. You can simply attach the router to the modem and then enjoy the internet browsing on all devices wirelessly.
Setup Optimum Compatible Router
Sometimes, the modem given in the self-installation kit is not a gateway device. So, you need an additional router to use the internet connection wirelessly. To configure your router, go through the following steps:
- Connect one end of ethernet cable in the yellow port of modem and other end to the back of the Router in the port which has WAN/Internet sign on it.
- Plug the power adapter in wall outlet and to the back of the router.
- Power on the router and wait for the WAN/Internet light to stay stable of become flashing green light.
- Your router is ready to provide the internet thorough wireless connection.
Activate the Optimum Intetnet Service
After the successful installation of modem and router. The last step is to activate your internet connection so that you can get the complete internet access. To do that, follow these steps
- Open the optimum modem internet activation link Activate Internet.
- Enter your 13-digit account number into the tab visible on your screen. You can find this account number on your optimum bill, on the optimum store receipt, or on the label of installation kit delivery package.
- Also enter your Last Name and registered phone number in the given fields on screen.
- After providing all the required information. Your internet service will be activated.
Watch How To Install Optimum Modem And Router Video
Sometimes it feels a dificult task to follow all the steps by going through a blog post. Don’t worry, we got a solution to get you every inch of ease in optimum modem installation. Watch this video created Optimum officials, it will guide you with the step by step process of modem installation
Setup TV Cable Box With Optimum Modem
Most of the users subscribe the TV Cable service along with internet package. To make the correct connection of internet, TV, and Voice Phone, a handful of configurations is needed. A lot of technical know-how is not required to setup all the things together. The only thing that you need is the complete accessories and equipment.
To setup the TV Box, you need to use the device called “Cable Splitter”. The splitter has 1 “ins” and 2 “outs” female ports at its both ends. Follow these steps to proceed:
- Attach one end of the Coaxial Cable in the cable outlet on the wall of your room and attach its other end to the “in” female port of the cable splitter
- The other end of Cable Splitter has 2 “outs”. Use each “out” port for both devices that is Modem and TV Cable box.
- For Cable no. 1, connect one end of the cable to the 1st “out” port of cable splitter and the other end to the back of the modem.
- For Cable no. 2, connect one end of the coaxial cable to the 2nd “out” female port of splitter while its other end to the back of TV Cable Box.
- Then you can connect your TV box to you LED TV through HDMI cable. Also, connect you modem to the router through ethernet cable.
You have successfully setup the TV box and optimum internet by following the simple steps.
Also Read: Detailed Reveiw of Windstream Compatible Modems
Troubleshooting Tips If Modem Is Not Activating
Your Optimum Modem and Internet should be activated if you have followed all the above-mentioned steps in correct way. However, the problem may persist due to several reasons. Following are the few reasons which could halt the activation process of Optimum modem.
Operating System Conflict
Most of the times, modem is configured properly but it’s working only on specific devices having similar operating system. I have observed in many modems that the internet works perfectly fine on the Windows and Android based devices, while it either doesn’t connect or shows limited internet connection error on all the Mac OS and iOS devices.
To resolve this issue, you either need to change your modem to another model compatible with optimum, or you can use the Network Bridge that makes to modem compatible with every device.
Firmware Not Updated
Even after the successful installation of the modem and router, internet may not work. The main reason is that you have played your part to configure everything but there might be some kind of fault in the firmware of the modem.
The problem in firmware update can be resolved by hard resetting the modem. To do that, pick up the modem and find the little hole at its back, keep it press for more than 30 seconds using a pin or needle. Once reset process is completed, modem should update its firmware automatically, if it still doesn’t work, I suggest getting the help of a Network technician or simply call the Optimum customer support for assistance.
Expected Issues If Modem Is Configured Wrongly
You may face some little to hard consequences if there is any kind of misconfiguration in the optimum modem. These issues may be different for everyone but the most common issues I have witnessed in my career are as follows:
Unable To Connect To The Internet
You might be able to connect to the modem but what’s the gain in that if internet is not accessible. Limited internet connection is the most common issue in this case and every time you try to open something in the browser, it automatically redirects you to the Optimum internet dashboard.
To resolve this issue, you need to make sure if all the wires are connected properly and there are no loose ends anywhere. Moreover, the basic configurations of the modem should be in its default state. If the issue persists, better to contact optimum support.
Also Read: Wow Approved Modems
The main reason behind the random disconnections can either be the loose connections of Coaxial Cable and Ethernet cable, or it can be due to faulty coaxial cable splitter. If you are using the Cable TV box and the internet simultaneously, you must check the cable splitter and replace it with new one.
So, during you modem installation and configuration, make sure to tight all the cables properly. Hopefully it will fix the issue.
Now that, you have gone thorough the detailed guide on the setup, configuration, and installation of Optimum Compatible Modems. Sometimes you may face the issues in the optimum modem self-installation process, but our guide has also covered the reason of those issues along with the proven solutions.
Make sure to follow each step carefully and wisely so that you won’t get the victim of misconfiguration of modem and face the slow internet speeds. If you are unlikely to manage the things, better to get the assistance of Optimum customer support as their technicians are just a call away.